Reporting to the Innovation and Compliance Manager, the Product Design Engineer will be responsible for helping drive design improvement at the Company’s offsite manufacturing facility at Ferguson Drive, Lisburn. This will involve collaborating with internal and external stakeholders to ensure typical architectural design details can be manufactured and considered for a factory environment.
• Ensure that the top-level designs are suitable for manufacture
• Evaluate and suggest design changes to ensure the product is efficient to assemble and consider the whole range of associated costs.
• Work closely with Designers/Architectural technologists to optimise designs for manufacturing and assembly.
• Organise, manage, record and analyse the manufacturing of prototypes.
• Monitor and assess the performance of new designs during introduction periods in the factory and on site.
• Evaluate designs from a standardisation perspective and intuitively recognise where savings in material, time and quality can attained.
• A key link bringing together the offsite, architectural, and manufacturing teams’ objectives with an overall best for business approach.
• Ensure day-to-day tasks align positively with the factory’s key objectives.
• Attend architectural workshops and represent manufacturing requirements early in the design process to enable more cost-effective solutions.
• Identify components across a range of products that could be standardised. Present and prepare documentation highlighting the benefits to the business.
• Produce technical drawings and details to support manufacturing.
• Develop and suggest innovative ideas and solutions with evidence to back up their adoption in a manufacturing environment.
• Work with the wider McAvoy Team to effectively represent and grow the business and contribute to the culture of innovation and continuous improvement
• Promote and ensure a safe working environment, ensuring compliance with SHE Policies and Procedures
• Carry out other duties that are consistent with the job holder’s knowledge and skills to assist the company in achieving its goals and objectives
This role description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for the Product Design Engineer. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder at regular intervals.
• A strong track record within a similar role in a manufacturing environment (6 years +)
• Relevant 3rd level education
• Effective communication, team working and mentoring skills
• Working knowledge of product design, dfma and product PMV
• Excellent IT skills (Microsoft office), report writing skills and presentation skills
• Demonstrate working knowledge of design software, eg Revit, Autodesk, ArchiCad or similar
• A good understanding of assembly operations and how effective design can contribute to improved throughput and quality assemblies
• An understanding of manufacturing and installation tolerances & buildability
• Experience within modular manufacturing
• Experience within the construction industry or related industry.
• Experience leading and mentoring within the context of a companywide talent development programme.
Qualifications & Training
Degree or other relevant third level education in manufacturing or construction management or related subject (preferred but not essential)
• External Focus: Takes time to question and understand the real, underlying needs of the customer, the public, the supply chain, and other project stakeholders.
• Influencing: Identifies and builds relationships with those who are influencers and enablers for change in achieving the strategic objectives of The McAvoy Group.
• Initiative: is able to get results in an effective way either individually or collectively as a team. Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes. Adopts and encourages others to adopt new ways of working.
• Team Player: Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives. Works collaboratively and uses influence to gain resolution of issues. Demonstrates honesty, loyalty, and commitment
• Effective Communication Skills: Able to adapt communication to an audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders. Presents a professional image and promotes The McAvoy Group brand.
McAvoy is an employer of choice for people from different backgrounds and seeks to promote respect for the individual and equality of opportunity. We passionately believe that everyone should be treated solely on the basis of personal merit and contribution throughout their career with the Company. The diversity of our people, their skills and abilities are the strengths that help us achieve our best.
To join our winning team and find out why we are an employer of choice please forward your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org